Friday, March 9, 2018

Breathe First...And Try New Things: Bouldering

OK, I'm back at it.  I have an update on the last thing on my "Breathe First...And Try New Things" list...   
  • Experience new Healing Modalities, Relaxation Techniques and/or Exercise Classes (even if they seem a little weird)
I've tried a whole bunch of new classes in the past month or so, but today, I want to talk about Bouldering. It's technically not a "class", but for me, it's a new way to approach exercise so I figure it counts for this category.

A little history...

Hubby (who is a dear) has been trying to get me to go Bouldering/Rock Climbing with him for YEARS.  Yup, years.  But quite honestly, I'm totally afraid of heights and the thought of falling and hurting myself and not being able to do yoga scares the bejeebers out of me.  So I've been putting it off.  And putting it off.  And putting it off.  

Recently, a couple of friends asked us to Boulder with them.  Hubby was so excited, he immediately said yes, we'd go.  I totally panicked.  I had visions of myself climbing halfway up the wall and then freezing from fear, not able to get back down.  (Which of course, in the "Land of my Imagination" would require the people at the climbing gym to call the fire department, and the firemen would have to get a ladder and carry me down the ladder in complete and utter humiliation.)  Yes.  I have an active imagination.

Despite the fear, I gathered up all my courage and reminded myself of the many things my hubby does for me on a daily basis to help me out.  It was my turn to do this one little thing for him.  It would make his day for all of us to go rock climbing together.  So I decided to do it.

So one Saturday, we arrived at the climbing gym.  Of course I had to watch the 2 minute safety video and then sign my life away and promise that I wouldn't sue the gym if I fell off the wall and broke my head.  Always a little nerve wracking.

I rented climbing shoes, which I must say, are even worse than rented bowling shoes.  Totally stinky and way less comfortable.  I guess climbing shoes are meant to be worn tightly (kind of like ballet shoes) and my long and spread out yoga toes do not appreciate the confinement.  They were screaming to be set free!    

Next came the climbing.  I got a quick tutorial and some helpful hints from hubby and our two friends.  (Which was awesome, by the way!)  I was super lucky to have their guidance (and cheerleading) during my first bouldering experience. 

I watched them climb.  They made it look so easy (and fun)!


So then, my turn.  I chalked up....



and started climbing!


     
I'm not going to lie...  

I was terrified.  

But I did it.  

And I liked it.  

And I'm planning on going again.  

I'm learning.  See, the fear of the unknown (or the un-tried) can be really paralyzing.  It can make a person feel weak, unsure, self-doubting.  I am starting to learn that, at least if I face the thing I am fearing--whether I fail or succeed, like it or hate it--I regain my power.  I have control over my fear.  And when you face your fear, you're not living from weakness or self-doubt, you're living from a space of power.  Is it easy to take the leap?  No.  But it's worth it.   

So, I'll leave you with this quote of the day:

So go out there and face your fears!  Take baby steps.  Bring supportive friends with you (it's always more fun to face your fears with your friends!).  Try something new and exciting! Let me know how it goes!

Namaste,
Dorothy `



1 comment: