Sunday, September 27, 2020

Get a Healthy Pear of Lungs!

I know. I spelled "Pair" wrong!

....Or did I?

I just couldn't resist the dumb pun! I've been hanging out with hubby 24/7 due to pandemic rules, so I've started to take on his habit of telling really bad "Dad Jokes". Apologies.


On to my blog post....




OK, so I'm not really a Pear girl (I prefer apples), but I was at the acupuncturist (giving her my laundry list of what was ailing me at the moment) and I told her that my throat and lungs were feeling all scratchy from the smoke we had had here in WA due to the wildfires. She did her magic acupuncture thing (and made me feel amazing) and then sent me off telling me to be sure to eat some Pears (Bartlett, Asian, D'anjou, Bosc, etc.). In TCM, Pears are said to be great for lubricating the lungs and throat, dissolving mucus, and relieving a cough. Perfect knowledge for the upcoming cold and flu season, right? And how amazing that pears are IN SEASON right NOW!

Coincidence?

Some people would say "yes", but me? I like to go with the theory that "Nature Provides". All at the right place and time! It's kind of an amazing world we live in, isn't it?

So below, you'll find a link to a recipe I found (and tried!) for Baked Pears. As my Dad would say, they were "Yumzo"! Healthy, yummy, seasonal, and good for the lungs and throat!

PS
My pears were not quite ripe, so I had to cook them for about 45 mins...if your pears are ripe the indicated time should be about right!

PPS
Other nice spices/nuts to sprinkle on top for health and variety? Walnuts, sliced almonds, clove, star anise, and nutmeg!





Here's where I found the recipe:
https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/whole-baked-pears-with-honey/

And here's a GREAT article for those who want to learn about TCM, Pears, Lungs and Autumn!
https://www.drsebaa.com/autumn-tcm/

No comments:

Post a Comment