Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Move Over, Pumpkin! There's a New Squash in Town. (Recipe: Delicata Squash--Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free)

It's Fall.  And anyone who knows me knows Fall is my favorite.  Love the beautiful colors, the crunchy leaves under my feet, the crisp fresh air, and of course, all the delicious foods that Fall has to offer.



My old self (the one who was addicted to sugar) would go crazy in the Fall.  I would obsessively buy and try every Fall treat I could find--pumpkin lattes, pumpkin scones, pumpkin muffins with cream cheese topping, pumpkin cookies, ginger cookies, gingerbread lattes, spiced cider, apple cinnamon doughnuts, caramel apple pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin pancakes...you name it.  Needless to say, I always put on a lot of extra "padding" during the month of October.  I also walked around feeling like a zombie--tired, stiff, foggy brain, grouchy mood, etc.  Sugar was not my friend.

Fast forward to today.  I've pretty much kicked the sugar habit. (Woo hoo!)  I don't crave the same type of sweets that I used to.  I DO however, occasionally crave sweetness...not from a cake or a doughnut, but from a squash or a pumpkin--you know, something REAL from NATURE that hasn't been processed and then drowned in milk with 8 pumps of chemically flavored liquid sweetness.  It's been a long journey, but I made it!  ;) 

So, I'm here to tell you about my new favorite fall snack...Delicata Squash.  Well, I ate it today as a snack, but really it's a veggie...so maybe it's a side dish?  Or a main part of your vegan dish?  

Have you had Delicata Squash? Here are my top 5 reasons why you should try it:

  1. They are inexpensive...you can get them at Trader Joe's for only 99 cents each.
  2. They are EASY to prepare--Wash, cut in half, scoop out seeds, maybe cut into slices, season and roast.  No peeling needed!
  3. High in fiber, low in calories.
  4. Good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron.
  5. They are filling, sweet, and full of Fall flavor!


So, here is the snack I had today.  Easy breezy and yummy.

Roasted and Spiced Delicata Squash (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

Ingredients:
  • Delicata Squash-washed, cut in half, seeds scooped out (You can leave the skin on!)
  • Spices of Choice...I used the following (But really you could just use Salt & Pepper!):
    • Salt
    • Garlic
    • Turmeric
    • Ginger
    • Cardamom
    • Ground Cloves
    • Cumin
    • Cinnamon
    • Chili Powder
  • Olive Oil
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees (I used the "convection roast" setting)
  • Take the prepared squash and cut into 3/4" slices
  • Put your squash slices, some olive oil, and your spices of choice into a plastic bag and seal (or put it all into a bowl with a snap on lid).  Shake, shake, shake, until all the slices are coated with oil and spices.
  • Put your squash on a cookie sheet and roast for 15-25 mins.  I like my squash fairly soft and a little crispy on the edges!
  • Enjoy! 
The one in the front is a Delicata Squash.  The one in the back is Butternut.
(I multi-task...I cooked them both at the same time!  Cook once, eat twice...)

Washed, scooped, and cut in half!

Spiced, oiled and ready to be put in the oven!
25 minutes later--DONE!





No comments:

Post a Comment