Sunday, July 22, 2018

A Confession....


 Hey Lovely Humans!
I need to tell you something.  I'm going to post more recipes on my blog.  A lot of them.  But I have a confession to make.  I'm not a chef.  To be honest, I might not even be that great of a cook!


But bear with me.   I'm trying.  I'm making an effort to eat at home as much as I can.

Why?  Lots of reasons.  Like a million reasons.  But I'll only list my top 5 here.


First Reason.  Veggies.  Real ones. 

Honestly, when I go out to eat, my veggie of choice is usually fries.  Or maybe sweet potato fries (Because for some reason, in my head, those are more healthy.  Maybe it's the orange color?)  Regardless, eating at home means more real veggies (you know, the green ones?) and less fries, which we all know are not good for you.


Image result for leafy greens


Second Reason.  Additives and Preservatives 

Yeah, I'm talking about all those weird chemicals they add to food to make it last longer, look better, improve the texture, or cause you to want more.  (Feel "addicted" to some foods?  Yup, you're not crazy.  There's an actual chemical reason for that.)   Besides, a lot of those weird additives (preservatives, stabilizers, food coloring, sweeteners, flavor enhancers, etc.) have links to really serious stuff like headaches, asthma, rashes, anxiety, hyperactivity, diabetes, nerve issues, thyroid problems, chromosome damage, fertility problems and cancer.  And here's the REALLY scary part...a handful of those additives are banned in other countries, but not here in the U.S.  What?  Yup.  How does THAT make you feel?

If you need a little eye opener, check out this great little article on Food Matters:   https://www.foodmatters.com/article/22-additives-and-preservatives-to-avoid .   It gives you some specific creepy chemicals to look out for--and the best part is...if you cook at home, you can avoid them altogether!


Image result for scientist


Third Reason.  The Cost of Health

So you know I'm trying to eat healthy, right?  Well, the "healthy" menu items (steak and veggies, baked fish, organic items, farm to table stuff, etc.) always seem to come with a crazy price tag.  So what do I do?  "Burger please!"  And there I am with this ginormous hunk of commercially raised, antibiotic and hormone stuffed meat topped with day-glow cheese, sugar-sweetened sauces, probably bacon, and enveloped in a big doughy bun (made doughy by those nasty chemicals mentioned above).  And oh yeah, there's the fries again!  Enough for six people.  And I eat them all!   I just can't help myself!  

BUT, if I eat at home, I can spend the same amount of money, get rid of all the creepy chemicals, have delicious healthy food (organic, even!), in normal sized portions, and make four servings for the same price as feeding just little old me!   It's a win, right?  Financially, it just makes sense!

Gefällt 4,620 Mal, 73 Kommentare - GoodEatsInLa (@goodeatsinla) auf Instagram: „You can definitely never get enough of curly fries. Pair that with a monstrous burger, and you can…“


Fourth Reason.  Vitamin L


OK, get ready, this is going to sound a little hokey.  But trust me, it's a thing!  

So, Joshua Rosenthal, the founder of the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, talks a lot about Vitamin L and its importance to our health.  Vitamin L is Love.  He says you can eat all the broccoli and kale in the world, but if you don't have love you still won't be nourished enough to be healthy and happy.  

So when I eat at home, there's a lot moreVitamin L than there would be when I eat out.  It's intertwined with thoughtfulness when I'm thinking up what I might whip up for hubby or guests that will make them feel cared for and loved.  It goes into the food prep when I'm peeling and chopping as I hum along to my favorite song (Have you seen food prep in a restaurant?  Not always a lot of Vitamin L or positive vibes...).  And, most importantly, there's a lot of Vitamin L when I get to sit down with hubby, family, or friends and share food and stories without being surrounded by a bunch of noisy people, having big screen TV's in every corner, or staring at the water glass sitting in front of me that has someone else's lipstick still smudged along the rim (gross).  

Plus, it makes me feel really good when I see hubby dig into some strange new recipe I decided to try out...and he actually likes it!  :)




Fifth Reason.  Practice makes Progress.

I'd love to say, "Practice makes Perfect", but we all know, nobody is perfect!  :)  

Like I said, I'm not a great cook....right now.  

But the more I cook at home and the more I experiment, the better I'll get.  And I want to be good--not just so I can feel confident nourishing my family and friends, but so I can help others do the same.  

As a health coach, I want to be a great resource for others...  

Want to make meals that are quick and easy?  Need something gluten-free, dairy-free or egg-free?  Need something vegetarian that tastes great?  Want to get rid of that sugar addiction?

I want to have options for people--options that are nutritious, healthy, and promote bio-individuality (not every meal works for every person's dietary needs).  

So I'm going to practice.  

And you can practice too.  I'll post a recipe.  You try it.   Let me know what you think.  How would you tweak it to fit your needs?  Is it something your family would like?  

Is there a recipe YOU make all the time that you just LOVE?  Share it with me!  I'll try yours too!  

Cooking at home should be fun...and easy!  We don't have to make some big fancy thing every night.  Just something fresh and nutritious made with Vitamin L!  It is possible!  Let's give it a try and Live Better!

Namaste,
Dorothy


No comments:

Post a Comment