Friday, August 18, 2023

EXPLORATION: Is it time for a Food Tune Up?

Every now and then, I feel like I need to do a little “Food Tune Up”.  It usually smacks me right in the face towards the end of August or at the beginning of the New Year.  Sometimes it even happens at the start of Spring. What causes this?  Ummmm…it’s not a “what,” it’s a “who”. 
 
It’s me.  Yeah, it’s totally me.  I’M the cause–and I fully admit it! 
 
During certain times of the year, I totally “let go”.  I give myself permission to go into “vacation mode,” or “celebration mode,” or whatever you want to call it.  I eat too much.  I drink too much.  I eat things I have sensitivities to like dairy, eggs, sugar, and yeast. I eat bread at nearly every meal and this leaves little space for the other “good stuff” like colorful veggies and leafy greens.

But even though I go hog wild, I still stay observant about how my food choices impact how I feel.  That way, I don’t lose sight of my overarching goal…promoting health and feeling my best. It is a lifelong journey! 
 
So how do I know when it’s time for a Food Tune Up?  My body starts sending out signals…

  • Weight gain
  • Belly bloat
  • Sweet/carb cravings
  • Energy “slumps”
  • Mood swings (unmotivated, blah, sad)
  • Heavy-feeling limbs
  • Acid reflux
  • Poor digestion/elimination
  • Stomach aches 
  • Rashes
  • Acne
  • Painful joints in the hands and feet (especially in the morning)
  • Night sweats and/or hot flashes
  • Bad dreams or restless sleep
  • Dark undereye circles or undereye puffiness
  • Feeling full all the time (but eating anyway ‘cuz I’m at a party, with friends, or because “it’s time to eat”)
  • Fluid stagnation (I can’t get my rings off, my shoes get tight, and my socks leave indents on my ankles!  LOL!)
  • Heightened sensitivity to allergens, scents, and foods (lots of nasal congestion, throat clearing, blocked or buzzing ears, and a scratchy throat when eating certain foods or drinking alcohol)

So I need to know….is it just me?  

What signals does YOUR body send to tell YOU, “Enough is enough!  It’s time to get back on track and eat healthy!”?  Do you experience some of the same things I experience?  Or have you got your own unique signs and signals?  (Feel free to let me know below!)

And, by the way, I’m not planning on ignoring these signals.  I’m gearing up for a little Food Tune Up.  I’m going to cut out the junk and up my intake of nutrient-dense healthy foods and drinks. There will be some information and prep work from now until September 4.  Then the actual TUNE UP begins September 5th (after Labor Day).  Anyone wanna join in?  (Also let me know below!)

I’m going to blog about the process…how I get my mind ready, how I get my environment ready, the steps I take to boost my success, the foods I plan on eating, etc.  You can totally play along, adapting things to fit your needs so that you walk away feeling re-energized and back on track.  

You with me?

Stay tuned…more to come on Tuesday!

–dorothy

I’m going to take you step by step through this process so don’t forget to follow or like my Facebook Page or  this Blog ( http://breathefirstyoga.blogspot.com/) so that you don’t miss out on posts!




No comments:

Post a Comment