Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Fruit and Veggie Challenge is Complete...Now Comes Vacation Mode!

Well, it's the 23rd! The last full day of the Fruit and Veggie Challenge!

How did you do? Did you fill your plate with veggies and crowd out the sweets, lattes, fried food, alcohol, and other junk?

I did! Now, don't get me wrong...I wasn't perfect. Nor did I expect to be. But I DID accomplish what I set out to do...to eat healthier than I normally would have during the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 'Cuz THAT is a HARRRRD time frame for me to stay healthy. But I did it. And I'm happy I did.

I ditched the junk that had been making me feel so crappy from Early November (Birthday time!) to Thanksgiving.

What were the results?

I lost a couple pounds. My joints stopped aching. My sugar and carb cravings went away. My digestion/elimination returned to normal. I exercised consistently (cuz when I eat better, I tend to exercise more!). I got a little stronger from the increased exercise. I drank more water and herbal tea. I slept deeply. I woke up with energy. I reduced my snacking. I feel like I nourished my body WAY more than I typically would have this time of year...

The list goes on.

So now today is the last day and it's time for the Holidays and "Vacation Mode". This is where most people (myself included!) fall off the healthy wagon and never get back on.

Why? Because they get swept up in "Vacation Mode" and mindlessly eat everything that's put in front of them and then feel bad about it. They feel like they failed. They feel like they were on a diet, and now they're off and now it's ruined. So why bother?

But it's not all or nothing. You're not "on" a diet or "off" a diet...you're just living! Vacations and Holidays happen! They are part of a good, balanced, happy life! And they should be enjoyed! No need for guilt!
Plus, there's a secret to enjoying your vacation time AND not going totally off the rails.

The secret is....making Choices.

Is it that easy? Yup!

I'm going to sit down today and choose what my "Vacation Mode" will look like...

  • Will I choose to eat everything in sight, guilt free, no strings attached, knowing that I'm "back to healthy" after January 1st?
  • Will I choose to eat everything I want, but in small portions so I don't hurt my belly and get my joint pain back?
  • Will I choose to keep it to one "junkie thing" each day, every other day, or on the weekends only?
  • Will I choose to eat only "special junk food" like homemade cookies or special pastries rather than noshing on "plain old junk food" like chips or pretzels that are junkie but that have no "wow" factor?
  • Will I make healthier versions of junk food so I can still enjoy indulgences without goofing up my health?

I haven't really decided yet. But I will.

It doesn't matter which thing I decide...it's just important that I take the time to be mindful and decide.

Why?

I want to be in charge of my choices. I don't want to get swept up in the environment or the people around me and just randomly eat a bunch of unhealthy foods/drinks until I feel miserable and find myself feeling guilty about it. (How many times have I said to myself, "Gah! Why did I eat all that? I didn't even like it and now I feel super crappy!")

I want to mindfully and purposefully enjoy every morsel of my junkie foods and special drinks! LOL! I never want to feel bad about what I eat, and if I mindfully choose it....I won't!

So...if you did the Fruit and Veggie Challenge (and even if you didn't!), decide how you're going to handle your holidays! Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your Holiday Indulgences guilt-free and savor every delicious morsel!

Sending hugs!

Happy Holidays!

--Dorothy

PS
Me in past "Vacation Modes"...look at all the smiles! LOL!


Christmas Margaritas...one for me and one for...
Oh, who am I kidding?
They're both for ME!
LOL!


Yummy Holiday Lemon Drop made by my friend (and former bartender), Nick!


BBQ Birthday Dinner! My FAVE!



No comments:

Post a Comment