Monday, January 18, 2016

Lessons Learned From My Dog

I love my dog.  We've had him for about 5 years now, so I've had some nice opportunities to observe his behavior.  And what I've discovered is....my dog has a lot to teach me.



Get Your Asana On...And Do It For Yourself! 

Igor stretches and moves every day...Downward Dog, Upward Dog, full body stretches,  two-legged balances, jumping, running, etc.  He finds joy in movement and never worries about what the other dogs think.  Yeah sure, he may not be as buff as the pitbull mix beside him, but that doesn't stop my skinny little maltipoo from zipping around the park like he's the leader in a Nascar race.  And he loves it!  The tongue hangs out and he's full on smiling.  (Yes, my dog smiles.)  I know how he feels...sometimes I just can't help but smile during my Sun Salutes.  Especially when I get to do them outside in the sun!  Igor is a good role model!  We should exercise every day!




Live In The Present

My dog is happy.  Right here.  Right now.  "We're going out?  FAN-tastic!  I LOVE it outside!  Lots to look at.  Lots to smell.  Oh wait, we're staying in?  Woo hoo!  Love that TOO!  That means I get to snuggle, or play with my favorite toy.  It's all good, Doggie Parents, it's all good!"  Seriously, his tail wags whenever we present him with any option of something to do.  There's no hemming and hawing about "Blech, it's too cold out" or "Blah, I'm too tired", it's just a "Yup, that sounds fabulous and I'm super happy just to be alive in this moment."  This is one of my goals...to someday be as present as my dog.   



Focus

Wanna see laser-like focus?  Watch my dog when there's a fly buzzing around the house.  Or when we're eating.  Or when we're holding his favorite toy.  Holy Moly.  That dog does not waver or blink or let anything distract him.  The only thing he does is breathe.  Softly and purposefully.  Now if only he could teach me how to do that during my balancing postures....I think it would help me a lot!



Live with Gratitude

William Arthur Ward has this great quote about gratitude:  "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."  I just love that.  Now my dog is a perfect example of how one should express gratitude.  He is so grateful for all the people in his life and for what they do for him that he never misses the opportunity to share his gratitude.  As soon as he hears you pull in, for example, he zips to the door and waits to say hello.  He greets you with a joyful tail wag, or hops up and down, or gives you crazy "kisses" on your fingers, as if to say, "I missed you!  I am SO happy to see you!"  And it really makes my day.  No matter how grouchy I was two seconds ago, I am now smiling.  The gratitude and happiness is contagious.  My husband and I joke with each other...If we happen to hear the key in the door, we'll jump up and greet the person coming home with a "tail wag" and a big hug.  It makes us laugh.  (Yes, we're dorky, but it makes the day so much better!)  Life is really short...it is important to let the people in your life know how much you love them and appreciate them....give them a full on tail wag at every opportunity!



Take Time to Rest and Re-Charge

Occasionally, life gets stressful or we've worked really hard and then it's time to rest and re-charge so that we can face the World again with a positive attitude.  Igor does this really well.  He snuggles up on a pillow, or sprawls out in the center of a sun beam and just drifts off into full relaxation mode.  He breathes deeply and fully and melts down toward the Earth, letting all his muscles soften.  It's calming just to watch him.  And as you would expect, the second he wakes up, he is happy and good to go.  Just like after a good Shavasana!  
  





2 comments: